Motor Vehicle

Online Tag Renewal Guidelines

Customers can only renew tags during their renewal month. Please refer to renewal schedule below. Vehicle owner must be a resident of Dale County. If you no longer live in Dale County, you must register where you now live. If your renewal notice or current registration has an incorrect address, please contact our office.

After the vehicle has been registered, the annual renewal month for your tag is as follows, with the renewal month corresponding to the the first letter of the customer's last name.

  • January: A & D
  • February: B
  • March: C & E
  • April: F, G & N
  • May: H & O
  • June: M & I
  • July: P & L
  • August: J, K& R
  • September: Q, S & T
  • October: U, V, W, X, Y & Z
  • Oct/Nov: National Guard, Commercial & Fleet Vehicles
The tax on used vehicles is paid in advance from time of registration until your renewal month. As of January 1, 2016, taxes will no longer be deferred on new vehicles. All taxes will be paid at the time of registration.

Some tags require certain documentation which we must receive before the tag can be renewed (Firefighters, Heavy trucks, Veterans, National Guard, Rescue Squad, AM Radio, Retired Military). Any transaction requiring an affidavit or supporting documents will have to be made in person at our tag office or through the mail. If there is a problem processing your renewal, we will attempt to contact you by phone Monday thru Thursday between the hours of 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. If we are unable to reach you, we will refund your payment.

A change in license plates such as regular plate to a personalized will have to be made in the tag office.

Online customers will be charged a convenience fee and processing fee. The mail fee is no longer collected, and all other fees are to the credit card processor.

Anyone renewing after the last day of the month will be charged a $15.00 penalty plus interest.

Decals, tags, and tag receipts will be mailed out on the next business day after they are renewed. A printable receipt will be available for proof of online payment only; it is not to be used as a valid tag receipt. Your official receipt will be mailed with your renewal.

Guidelines for Registering a Vehicle

The Alabama Department of Revenue in Montgomery sets all vehicle values, all title regulations and all other regulations regarding motor vehicle laws. These laws and regulations get their basis from the laws passed by the Alabama legislature. The following are guidelines for registering a vehicle based on different factors.

Current Alabama residents have 20 days to register a motor vehicle.
If the VEHICLE HAS AN ALABAMA TITLE & IS 35 YEARS OLD OR NEWER, the following documents are required:

1. TITLE (Alabama Title)
(a) An original title properly executed by the seller to the new owner (new owner must be present) or
(b) Title application completely filled out to the new owner or
(c) Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new owner & vehicle must be present) or
(d) Title in new owners name

(a) Cost of vehicle and date of sale
(b) Full description of the vehicle (including VIN)
(c) Complete name and address of the new owner
(d) Trade-in allowance, if any
(e) A breakdown of the sales tax paid. (This is required when purchased from a dealer. It must show the percent and amount of State, County and City tax paid. If all sales tax has not been paid we collect a percentage based on location of residency)
(f) Has to be notarized or have 2 witnesses if not purchased through dealership

According to Alabama law a vehicle must have a minimum of liability insurance before it may be registered. The signature placed upon the registration receipt will indicate that the information shown on the receipt is correct and that the vehicle is properly insured. Proof of insurance document is required showing policy number and NAIC number.

Alabama law requires the owner as listed on the title/registration to provide his/her drivers license or non-driver identification number. Companies registering vehicles are required to provide their federal employer identification number (FEIN). Last name on driver's license must be the same as the last name on title AND registration. Driver's license information is required to register utility trailers or pull-behind campers.

If the VEHICLE HAS AN OUT OF STATE TITLE AND IS 35 YEARS OR NEWER, the following documents are requrired:
1. TITLE (out of state)
(a) An original title properly executed by the seller to the new owner (new owner must be present and vehicle must be present)
(b) Vehicle must be brought in for VIN inspection

2. Steps 2, 3, and 4 as shown above for an Alabama title

New Alabama residents have 30 Days to register a motor vehicle.
If the VEHICLE HAS OUT OF STATE TITLE WITH A LIEN, 35 YEARS OLD OR NEWER, and the owner stays the same, the vehicle and titled owner must be present and the following applies:

1. Provide a copy of the front of the title
2. Provide the name of the lien holder
3. Provide the lien holder mailing address
4. Provide the loan or account number
5. Provide the date of the lien and purchase date if different
6. Steps 3 and 4 as shown for an Alabama title


1. Bill of Sale must be notarized
2. Copy of prior owner’s registration or prior owner’s bill of sale
3. No title is required

Penalty Schedule

  • Failure to renew your tag in your renewal month: $15.00 plus interest
  • Failure to transfer a purchased vehicle within 20 calendar days: $15.00
  • Failure to register a vehicle within 30 days of an individual moving into the State with a valid out-of state license: $15.00

Ad Valorem Voucher

In order to receive a voucher, one of the following criteria must be met: selling of a vehicle, trading of a vehicle, total destruction of a vehicle, theft without recovery or other transfer. Documents to support this criteria:
(a) Casual sale or trade...affidavit of buyer and address
(b) Sale or trade to license's bill of sale
(c) Theft of from law authority
(d) Lease trade-in...odometer statement or condition report
(e) Statement from insurance company stating date of total loss

The voucher shall only be issued to the registered owner and proof of identification must be provided. The credit shall be applied to pay the ad valorem tax on another vehicle. Alabama law sets the eligibility time period to receive a credit voucher one year from sale or other transfer date. In the event that a credit voucher cannot be applied toward taxes due, then a receipt for credit is issued (in other words, a check is issued).